ENERGY SAVINGS FOR HOUSEHOLDS
HOW MANY ENERGY AUCTIONS ARE THERE IN A YEAR?
There are three and the system generally opens for quotes in August, December and April each year.
HOW MUCH CAN I SAVE?
Across UK, savings are on average £230 pa
How long do contracts last?
Normally a year. Essentially, like car and house insurance, we have to ask for quotes once a year to get a good deal. Over the years we have got used to energy contracts that are on going, but not now. If you switch say in the autumn then you need to ask for a fresh quote at the next autumn. If you get opportunities to ask for quotes in between, these are optional for you.
But let’s talk about Coldstream
We joined the UK community energy switch system in the autumn of 2015 and our average saving is £234 pa but always look for our ‘Latest News’.
Why don’t people switch then?
It seems to be a common problem of not attempting to gain energy savings where there can be suitable annual energy savings. Please consider the next section of advice..
Basics of the switch
Available to Coldstream and district households but any household in the UK can join the Coldstream scheme. We have friends and acquaintances in Innerleithen, Leitholm, Earlston and Tyne and Wear in our scheme.
• By registering with the Coldstream switch, you are also with the national Big Community Switch
• A large number of Councils in the UK and Coldstream and Sedgefield Community Trusts make up the scheme.
• 3 auctions a year puts pressure on energy suppliers. Special tariffs are negotiated in a reverse auction.
• Access ‘Coldstream Energy Switch’ to register for a quote.
• The registration process takes 10 minutes but you need your existing annual or projected kWh usage and/or costs.
• If you register for a quote there is no obligation. You will receive a quote that you can say ‘yes’ to or ‘no’.
• You can carry forward your registration of interest to the next auction.
• You have a 75% chance of receiving a cost-saving quote. If you accept it, our Trust gets £11.00 for a dual-fuel switch and £5.50 for a single gas or electric switch.
• Even if you have solar panels or only electricity (no gas e.g. Birgham) you can still register and benefit.
• All the income from the eventual switches would help run the community centre.
• Please phone the Community Centre on 01890 883332 if you need help registering.
One last important point:-
If you switch energy supplier with us your energy contract is for 12 months. When you get near the end of that contract, register with us for another quote.
KEY DATES FOR SPRING ENERGY AUCTION
The process opens on 2nd April when registrations for quotes can be available to 20th May.
Then there is an auction of energy suppliers on Tuesday 21st May.
Offers of quotes to houses are made by a winning firm until Monday 3rd June and you can accept or decline the offer until Tuesday 2nd July when the offer closes.
People who are looking for energy savings without using this website for a quotation, unfortunately cannot now expect visits from a community trust person. What we recommend for those people is to visit the community centre office, or make a telephone call (01890 883332), to discuss a non-computer request for a quote. We realise we only have around 10 houses with non-computer requests and the vast majority are computer users.